Sunday, October 31, 2010

Opera Let-Down

I saw Macbeth at the Lyric Opera tonight.  I really feel like I should have liked it more than I did.  The music is beautiful.  The story is classic.  The voices were beautiful (except for what should have been the "money note" by Najda Michael.....that was a travesty).  Even the Gehry-esque production was pretty cool.....though they started pulling out some silly gimmicks in the last act.  Everything was in place for total enjoyment, but I only liked it....definitely did not love it.

I hate when that happens.  When an opera doesn't enrapture me, it makes for a very long evening.  I try hard not to squirm in my seat, and I'd be checking my watch if I could see it.  Knowing how much I have to pay for ticket makes the disappointment even more acute.

No comments:

Post a Comment