Saturday, June 15, 2013

A Magic Drop of Coffee

I love coffee. I truly do. While I definitely have some preferences about region and roast, I am nowhere near as picky or snobby about coffee as I am about other delectable beverages, such as beer or gin. Hot or cold, just add a little dash of cream and I'm good to go. I love the taste. I love the aroma. I love the pick-me-up.

This, however, is not a post going into all the ins and outs of coffee. There are tons of posts all over the internet which could provide a much better education. Whole books are written on the subject. There is no way I could add to that knowledge. Frankly, I don't even care that much about it.

I just want to acknowledge that there is something magical about coffee, especially that first drop. I am amazed how I can be plodding through a morning, still in a daze, and that first sip of coffee just perks me right up. I am more alert. I am enchanted by its appeal to my senses. My attitude is adjusted. My world is realigned. All of that comes with the first sip. I know that the caffeine cannot already be in my system. Even if it did absorb that quickly, the dose from one sip would be homeopathic. Something in the mystical nature of coffee, wrapped up in its complex history and mystique, alters me each morning.

I do love coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment