Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My New Year Celebration

What a great start to the new year.  Rob and I headed out to San Francisco last Thursday to hook up with some friends.  One of them had scored some free VIP tickets to Cavalia....sort of a horse based Cirque du Soleil.  The shows was a solid "good"....with parts being great.  Regardless, it made for a great start to the weekend.

On Friday we headed up to the wine country.  We first made a stop at Gundlach-Bundschu, a Rhine-style winery in Sonoma.  We discovered this a few years ago. We had rented a limo for a tour of wineries, and the driver had suggested this winery.  We all fell in love with it.  The trip this weekend was mostly so that John could exchange a few bottles that had been sent in error.  However, after a fabulous tasting, Rob and I couldn't resist signing up for their wine club!

We then headed over to Guerneville on the Russian River.  We had rented a home through VRBO.  The place was situated high above the river, pretty much hanging on the side of the hill.  The house was great; the view was spectacular. After a major grocery run, we settled in for the weekend.

I was head chef for the weekend.  We ate, drank, and hot-tubbed our way through the new year celebration.  Entertainment included Scrabble, Killer Bunnies, and "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert."

I have a superstition that how you spend the New Year is how you will spend the year.  I try to avoid bars, clubs, and the TV.  I want my year to be full of love, loved ones, good food and great wine.

If my superstition holds true, 2011 will be just awesome!

2 comments:

  1. What a way to bring in the New Year! I love it. I am very jealous! I agree with you about what you do is a sign for the upcoming year. I have been lacking for the last couple years and made it part of my resolutions to do more entertaining and not as much busy work. Want to live life, not have it pass by my window. Thank you for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a conscious effort this weekend to do "slow food." My chili was prepared over 2 days. My lasagna was prepared over 3 days. Aside from the experience of immersing myself in what I am cooking and eating, it just tastes better!

    ReplyDelete