Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Ramp DOWN

I adore Thanksgiving.  However, there is always an element of a let-down, especially when I am the one doing the majority of the cooking.  No matter how perfectly everything turns out, the duration and intensity of the consumption never quite seems to give proper merit.  The balance, of course, comes from the days of enjoyment of the leftovers.  Is it worth it?  You bet!  To doubters, I would refer to the words of the great Julia Child:


"Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet."


In toto, I am pleased with the success of the meal.  Yesterday was quite the frenzy.  The "perfect turkey" mode on the range was much more effective than anticipated.  I think it may be due to the convection feature.  I noticed that the turkey was cooking way faster than anticipated...in fact it was going to be done in almost half the time.  Fortunately, I noticed this before it became a disaster.  I still was sure that in the end the turkey was going to have the consistency of shoe leather.....it turned out juicy and absolutely delicious.  My gravy was perfect.  The collard greens were even better than expected.  The black-eyed peas I had cooked earlier in the week heated up beautifully.  I wasn't too pleased with my green beans and my biscuits....guess everything can't be perfect.  My guests brought some lovely dishes too.


The whole meal seemed to last but an eyeblink in comparison.  We washed everything down with good champagne and wine.  I was so stuffed!!  We sat around and moaned for a while before attempting to eat some pie.  I don't know why we bother putting so much effort into desserts.  They never are truly appreciated on Thanksgiving.


...and yes...they mess for my sweet honey Rob was truly epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment